Learn to install SSL certificates by reading the handy guide below.
You can easily install SSL Certificates. The SSL certificate is readily available for downloading when validation and processing have been finished. Certificates come in text file. This is encrypted data which the web server can decipher when set up as digital certificate. Create a back-up file for the certificate which you should keep ahead of the installation procedures. It will make it less difficult to secure the server again in case it crashes.
Aside from the SSL certificates, you need to download two other certificates which are the intermediate certificates. These have been required so that browsers will learn to trust your Secure Sockets Layer certificate. There are registered authorities that provide a recognized root certificate before their SSL certificates are trusted by certified applications. Installation is easy but varies for a variety of web server applications. The web host manager (WHM) automatically installs the certificate and private key in the appropriate directories. One option is to paste the key and certificate on the fields or let the WHM retrieve these. Your SSL certificate must be in the proper directories. Otherwise, your server remains unauthenticated and leaves your visitors at risk. It is only possible to install only one certification for each IP address in your website. You cannot make use of this function if you posses one address and do not prefer a shared certificate. You need to configure this process manually.
Actual Installation Steps in Installation of Private Key and Certificate
- Fill up the domain field under the box labeled ‘Install an SSL Certificate’ box. You can also click ‘Browse’ and the desired domain. The web host manager will try to fill in the rest of the fields for you once you have specified a domain.
- Paste the preferred certificate on the top field if the web host manager did not fill up the field or you choose to use another. Using the ‘Fetch’ button is possible if you want the WHM to accomplish this information in your behalf. This button works only if you have filled up the domain field.
- Paste the matching private key in the middle field if the web host manager did not fill up the private key field or you replaced the SSL certificate on the first field. Private keys are matched with their certificates. The certificate will not be installed if the two do not match.
- Write IP address on the ‘IP Address’ field and User on the ‘User’ field. Write nobody in the ‘User’ field once you want to install a shared certificate.
- It may be necessary to utilize the bundle of the certificate authority if the SSL certificate has been purchased. The CA bundled can be obtained from the company that sold the certificate. You have to paste the certificate authority bundle on the ‘Paste the CA’ bundle fields at the lower part of the computer screen.
- Click the ‘Submit’ button while clearing the fields requires pressing the reset button.
The web host manager will show a successful installation button or error message if there was a problem in installing the SSL certificate.